Wednesday, April 11, 2012
I loathe going to the health department
On Monday night I mentioned to Steve that after I was done with my after-school intervention on Tuesday I was going to sprint to pick the kids up by 3:45 to get to the health department before they closed at 4 to get Lydia's 6 month shots and Grace's Kindergarten shots (although I'm 99% sure we're going to send her to Clovergarten which is an early 5s program where she will go 5 days a week from 7:10-11:30.) I still wanted to save a later trip and just do both at the same time. As I was telling Steve this I started laughing remembering an earlier trip to the health department when both Grace and Sam had to have shots at the same time. I left carrying Grace in one arm and Sam in the other with a giant 8 month pregnant belly in the middle. :) Of course they both were telling me their leg hurt too bad to walk. Lord have mercy. Anyway, Tuesday rolled around and I did make it to the health department by 3:57 (they probably hated me for that!) but nonetheless got them both signed in and ready to go. Grace mentioned to me once that she didn't like shots but after being reassured that shots do stink but are over fast and are something you just have to do she was fine. 2 other families were also waiting and their kids were all over the place; sprinting around in circles, knocking each other down, turning the lights on and off, grabbing toys out of Lydia's car seat, hitting and kicking their moms when they did make an attempt to calm them down; complete chaos. I couldn't help but think, please do not let me have these kids in school in a few years. At the exact moment when Grace decided to say, (loudly) "Mom, why are those boys acting like that?" I heard the door open and thought to myself, no no no I cannot take any more crazy kids in here (mind you it had been a rough day at school already). I turned to look and it was Steve! Bless him for just showing up on his own. I told him later that it's things like that that I so appreciate and mean a lot to me. I had no idea he was planning on coming but it was so nice to have some backup. Within a few minutes they called us back so I took Grace and Lydia back to the room. Grace went first and sat on my lap and got her 3 shots like a pro. She didn't even make a peep! I was so proud of her. She jumped off my lap and then it was Lydia's turn. Lydia also got 3 shots and cried for about 30 seconds. Then we got the heck out of there! :) Grace and Sam both wanted to ride home with Steve and as soon as we got in the house I looked at them and said "You guys know that you never act like that, you know better and you know the consequences if you would ..." and I was about to keep lecturing when Grace interrupted me with "We know mom, dad already told us on the way home." Ha! I love feeling like I always always have Steve as a teammate in this wild ride known as parenting. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment