Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Is Bryan a Country?

I used to love watching the awesome PBS show Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego. I've decided that perhaps my students would benefit from watching it as well...

I was reminded why I love teaching 5, 6 and 7 year olds the other day. I had taken a puzzle of the United States in for the kids to do because we had been talking about where we live and I realized that they were completely clueless about the world in general. I didn't realize how clueless until I heard these statements...

Student 1: Hey, here's Texas Mrs. Hastings. I've been to Texas before. 
Me: (very excitedly) Did you visit relatives there or did you  just go on vacation? 
Student 1: No, I don't have any relatives there, I went there to eat. 
Me: Are you sure?
Student 1: Yeah, you know. Texas Roadhouse. It was really good.
Me: (burst of laughter) Has anyone else been to another state?
Student 2: I went to that one state where Chuck-E-Cheese is. 

That concluded that lesson.

Later that week...

Student 3: Mrs. Hastings, when I grow up I want to move far away.  
Me: Really? Where do you want to move to?
Student 3: The country. 
Me: Where at?
Student 3: Edgerton. 

Please keep in mind that Edgerton is literally 10 minutes from Bryan. 

I've given up on geography lessons.

1 comment:

Jill said...

Oh this one had me laughing out loud, even at midnight when I'm exhausted. Too funny!