Saturday, September 6, 2008

A Day in the Kitchen

I am lucky to have another 3-day weekend! I've decided to spend quite a bit of today cooking since I rarely get a chance to do that anymore. I promised Jill that I would post a recipe for granola since she made some last week. Here's the recipe that I received from Ariel's mom. 

Crunchy Granola Cereal
4 1/2 cups oatmeal
1 cup coconut
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Mix everything together, except raisins, adding oil and honey last. Spread evenly on baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes stirring occasionally. Add raisins after the mixture has cooled. Simple and delicious! :)  

Last month my mother-in-law and I tried a salsa recipe. It turned out to be really easy and really good! Here it is...

Freezer Salsa
8 cups tomatoes (diced)
2 medium green peppers (chopped)
2 large onions (chopped)
2 jalapeno peppers (chopped)
1 small can tomato paste
1 can tomato soup
1/2 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons salt
4 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper (optional)

Combine all ingredients in saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer uncovered for 45 minutes stirring often. Pour into small freezer containers. Cool to room temperature, about 1 hour. Freeze for up to 3 months. Stir before serving. Of course you can add more peppers or other ingredients. I thought it would be fun to try this recipe with corn and black beans. Make it your own and enjoy! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made the salsa with 6 cups of tomatos and twice the peppers so it will be hot. I also added corn and it was good. I am adding choc chips to my granola instead of raisins and coconut. no sense in getting too healthy. haha

Kristi said...

Hi Sarah! I made this granola for Andrew and Carson's birthday party. I had to leave out the coconut since Dad and Ben were going to be there, if I had any chance of them trying it I knew I needed to leave that out. But next time I will put it in. We loved the granola! Love the smell of it baking and I liked how simple it was ~ I had everything on hand to make it! Thanks.